Friday, May 13, 2005

Self-inflicted injury

The old addage, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is one I disagree with, some of my deepest wounds have been caused by the words of others. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I also have wounds which I have inflicted on myself with my words. Beating myself up for a mistake- "you're such an idiot, you should have known better" or chastising myself for wanting dessert- "you're so greedy, it's not like you need to eat any more food." Often I've been cruelest standing naked in front of the mirror; "you have such a huge arse, and those hips!"

I'm sad to say that not a day goes by that I don't hear a woman say stuff like that about herself, her body. "I've put on so much weight, I'm so fat."

Words, are strange things, say them long enough and they take on a life of their own and pretty soon you believe them. And if they're wounding words, then every time they're said, it's like sticking a knife into the gut of a person's self-worth.

I'm done hurting myself with my own words; I will not tear myself down anymore-there are enough people who probably want to do that, they don't need my help.


homage to my hips

these hips are big hips
they need space to
move around in
they don't fit into little
petty places. these hips
are free hips
they don't like to be held back.
these hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
these hips are mighty hips.
these hips are magic hips.
i have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top!

~ Lucille Clifton ~

5 Comments:

Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

1.oh trust me words cut like a hot knife to butter.especially words said behind your back...

2.way to go hips!!!

Give me an H!
Give me an IPS!
Goooooooooo HIPS!!!!!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:48:00 am  
Blogger Ms K said...

I absolutely love that poem. I think its just fabulous. All women should memorize it and repeat every day!!

When I recently put on weight, I was really doing myself in with the "I'm so fat" song. Lakini wah!! The spell this my new hips are putting on people!! I've learnt that the sexiest woman is she who carries herself with confidence and awareness of her own beauty.

And I am so loving these hips!!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:25:00 am  
Blogger AfroFeminista said...

Know the feeling of gaining pounds in all the wrong (visible) places. It's turned out to be a blessing - not only can I 'throw my weight around...' but I have been forced to start exercising and basically discovered muscles I never knew I had...even in my thinner days.

@Ms K, yes indeed this poem ought to be posted next to all our dressing mirrors and closets!

So 'Hip Hip hooray'

Monday, May 16, 2005 9:00:00 am  
Blogger wg-k said...

2 nick, hee hee! your cheer made me laugh! you are so right about words said behind your back...or the ones said to your face with the intent to hurt you, cut you down to size etc., i'm sure you get the picture

2 ms.k., yes, we need to memorise that and say it to ourselves in place of the "i'm so fat". agree with you 1000% (i am told this is not really mathematically possible but maths was never my strong suit)where was i? oh, i agree with you 1000% about who the sexiest woman is. i'm working on that. some days are better than others.

2 afrofeminista, i feel you! i was forced to start exercising too and i get such a rush noticing how my muscles have developed, how strong my legs feel now.... maybe i will post the poem right next to my mirror.

Monday, May 16, 2005 11:35:00 am  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

Go go go.I love that poem.
I also go around belating myself of gym time foregone, but I will henceforth pay attention to the hips - I have those aplenty.

Go hips!!!

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 11:24:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home