Saturday, May 14, 2005

Class of 2005

I graduate today and will now "have the power to read" (and to quote Mo1, "and do all that apperdains to this tigiri"). What does the power to read mean? What was I doing since before I started nursery school? Someone should have told me that I didn't have the power then, 'cause really wg-k could not be torn away from her precious Peter and Jane, and that book about Mr. Kamau's bus (what was it called?), Kaka Sungura, The Hare and the Tortoise.... lol. I'm still a book addict and at least that's one addiction that's not harmful to anything except maybe my bank account! (thank God for well stocked libraries and most of all for Amazon.com!)

So anyway, I'm sitting here trying to remember how I felt at my first graduation because this one scares the crap out of me. I'm expected to know more, do more....most of all, I have to get a real job and be like a grown-up and everything. Drat!

I asked myself (yes, I admit that I talk with and to myself often, it's quite enlightening!) why I was so scared about this milestone and I realised why. One word; expectations. I thought initially that I was afraid that others would expect more from me, mum, dad, siblings, hubby, friends... but the only person weighing me down with mega-expectations is wg-k herself. There's nothing wrong with believing in yourself and in your own abilities, but it is a problem if those beliefs and expectations are so great that all they do is exert constant pressure, never allowing any room for mistakes, demanding the absence of any kind of imperfection.

Here's to belief in my own strengths and abilities
Here's to the acceptance of the fact that, gasp, I sometimes might fail
Here's to looking at failure as the flavour that sweetens my next success
Here's to the Class of 2005

wg-k, M.A. (Next is PhD - Permanent Head Damage!)

15 Comments:

Blogger Afromusing said...

Congratulations sana!!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 9:31:00 am  
Blogger Ms K said...

You go gal!!!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:27:00 am  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

Congrats...many think gettin a Masters Degree is a piece of cake..i dont even have the strength...so if u have earned it it shows u have what it takes.

its crazy when people have so much expectations from you and its even worse when u have certain expecations from urself...don't beat urself down, u've made it this far...u can make it anywhere

Saturday, May 14, 2005 12:55:00 pm  
Blogger akiey5 said...

Many congrats on your efforts & may the path get smoother for you from hereon. That Phd, go for it if you can:))!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 3:39:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take this moment with you always to remind mostly in times of self doubt that it is possible. It can be done. You did it once you can do it again.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 6:50:00 pm  
Blogger Farmgal said...

Congrats girl!

Sunday, May 15, 2005 3:34:00 pm  
Blogger Wassapangaz said...

Congrats.Keep on

Sunday, May 15, 2005 9:17:00 pm  
Blogger AfroFeminista said...

Congratulations!

Monday, May 16, 2005 9:12:00 am  
Blogger wg-k said...

2 afromusing, thank you!
2 ms. K, thanks and please blog!! i miss reading about your latest escapades. :) tena I'm waiting for ur version of "nick meets ms. k", hee hee!
2 nick, yes, it's hard work, what was i thinking?! i'm working on the whole thing with expectations-my next appointment with my therapist is this week.
2 aikey, thanks for the encouragement. i am taking a year off to figure out if i want to do the PhD.the path might not get smoother but at least as nick and anonymous pointed out, if i've done this, then i should realise that i can do whatever else i put my mind to.
2 anonymous, thank you. i will try to remind myself when i doubt, that anything is possible.
2 farmgal, thanks!
2 wassapangaz, thank you as well!
2 afrofeminista, you're back!! (eh, do i sound like a stalker?) thanks for the congrats!

Monday, May 16, 2005 11:27:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats...Go get em'

Monday, May 16, 2005 1:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations my twin.

Out of curiosity..is it the 19th?

Monday, May 16, 2005 8:46:00 pm  
Blogger M said...

(Belated) congratulations!!

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 6:56:00 am  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

Riding on a late train, but hey, better never than late - *shaking head worriedly*. I talk to myself all the time - and as "damien" says, its only a problem if you answer yourself back" which I do too.

SHRINK!

Your blog really cracks me. You speak my language.

AOB:Congrats on graduation, daunting, but the only expectations you have to keep an eye on are yours - other people are just spectators in your life.

Good Luck .. and thanks for all the comments on my corner -I shall be a repeat visitor henceforth

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 7:45:00 am  
Blogger wg-k said...

- 2 Msanni_xl, thank you!
- MJY, thank you twin! and yes, it is the 19th. I read the "about you" on your webiste and I was like, hmm, someone else who says "the day after nelson mandela's" in response to "when is your birthday?" cool! thanks for stopping by. i hope you don't mind my adoption of you as my BT.(blog twin) :)
- 2 M, thank you! I love tom and jerry so your little pic makes me smile. and it's never too late for congratulations (or presents, hee hee!)
- 2 Guess, maybe we both need a shrink. Lakini why? Wouldn't it be kind of rude to have a conversation with someone and then they don't respond? That's why I have to reply even when I'm talking to myself! :)

Thanks for the reminder that others are mere spectators in my life. That's something that is very easy to forget.

Thanks for stopping by. feelanga free! (gosh, i'm a shade, when was the last time you heard that phrase?).I'm rooting so hard for you and Damien (i hope you know that is a not so subtle hint for a wedding invite!).

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 11:28:00 am  
Blogger M said...

An open cheque is in the post. You can fill it in (including drawer) :)

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:03:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home