Wednesday, July 19, 2006

We're Like Fine Wine

So another year older, Happy Birthday to MJY my Blog Twin and to me. We're getting better with age. I hope you have had a great day and have an even better year.

I'm actually having a really nice day now, even though it didn't get off to a very rosy start. I just had a pedicure to make sure my toes look nice in my sexy gold sandals when I go out later tonight. There's a nice juicy steak and a glass (or 3!) of wine with my name on it.

About a year ago, Medusa challenged me to do a list of 100 things about myself. So I figure why not do it today when I have a genuine reason to make everything about me. :)

Here goes:

1. I love the rain when I’m in the house, warm and dry.
2. I don’t like to be outside in snow but love the way it looks it’s falling.
3. If I have a choice between reading a book and watching a movie based on a book, I’ll read the book first.
4. I still hate going to the dentist.
5. The yearly check-up at the gynaecologist still freaks me out.
6. I love to drive fast, I’m not reckless, but I do love speed.
7. I’m not scared of dying, but I am terrified of how I’ll die (memo to self: drive slower?).
8. Dishonesty, in any form, is the hardest thing for me to forgive.
9. I’m terrified of snakes.
10. I use swear words very rarely and when I do, it’s for shock value.
11. I’m a hopeless procrastinator.
12. I love working under pressure.
13. I try to believe the best of every person unless they give me a reason not to.
14. I learn something new about myself almost every day.
15. I am fiercely loyal to my friends and family.
16. I’ve loved looking at myself in the mirror since I was a child.
17. I love to show cleavage, if you’ve got it, flaunt it! Truth be told though, big boobs are overrated, I wouldn't mind smaller ones.
18. I believe everything that has happened in my life has happened for a reason, no accidents, no coincidences.
19. I believe in God, the Devil, in Heaven and Hell.
20. Although I tend to anger quickly, I never stay that way for long.
21. I don’t like to hold grudges, they only hurt me.
22. I’m not really sure what I want to be doing in the next 5 years.
23. I’m ok with that.
24. I’m addicted to telly. Currently my favourite channels are the Food Network and The Travel Channel.
25. I’ve come to love working out; exercise makes my body feel alive.
26. When I was younger I loved to write letters. I miss doing that. I’ve resolved I’m going to start doing it again.
27. I love to sing and I do it well.
28. A lot of people think I’m confident, but I’m actually terrified of appearing incompetent and try very hard not to.
29. I talk to myself a lot when I'm alone.
30. A hot new outfit is one of my favourite pick-me ups.
31. Until I got married, I thought multiple orgasms were ngano cia marimu (urban legend).
32. I used to write poetry, I’m not sure why I stopped.
33. I believe in happy endings and always hope for them even in the face of unfavourable odds yet I don't consider myself an optimist. Hmmm...strange.
34. I love to give gifts to people I care about for no reason, but don’t want people to make a big deal when they get them. Thank you is sufficient; I just love to do it.
35. I love to find the perfect gift for someone I care about.
36. I hate it when people forget my birthday – even a phone call or e-mail is fine, just don’t let it pass in silence.
37. Now that my hubby and I are not long-distance anymore, I’ve realised that I really don’t like e-mail; it’s a necessary evil.
38. I’ve been a victim of sexual assault and it took me a long time to realise it wasn’t my fault. I don’t think of myself as a victim anymore.
39. It might not endear me to many, but I always try to speak my mind and be as honest as I can without hurting anyone.
40. I love words and word games.
41. I love to travel; I plan on doing it more.
42. Routines drive me crazy, I crave excitement, spontaneity.
43. One day I hope to start a non-profit that mentors girls and young women (kind of like the Big Brother Big Sister or Girls Inc. programmes here in the U.S.).
44. Sometimes I underestimate my own capabilities, sometimes I overestimate; I’m still learning to find the balance.
45. I miss my family and friends in Kenya but living away from them has helped me grow up and redefine who I am on my own terms.
46. I detest authority that insists on being recognised; the “don’t-you-realise-I’m-in-charge?” attitude riles me.
47. Pretentious people amuse me, but mostly I feel sorry for them; it’s sad to be so afraid to show who you really are.
48. I can be very sarcastic and I’m not always happy about the things I say.
49. My relationship with God is in need of a tune-up.
50. I can roll my tongue.
51. It drives me crazy that I’m never able to raise only one eyebrow unless half my face is numb from novocaine.
52. I hate the word “minority” and all the connotations and assumptions that come with it.
53. Fire fascinates me; note to self – discuss possibility that I’m a repressed pyromaniac with therapist.
54. I love sunsets.
55. I’m nocturnal, being up alone when most people are asleep is cool.
56. I’m still a little scared of the dark
57. I’ve never been drunk, a little tipsy, but never drunk.
58. I love cats.
59. I sometimes think about getting a parrot for a pet, I think it would be cool to teach it to talk.
60. I’m a feminist who isn’t in support of abortion. But even though I wouldn’t have one, I don’t believe that any government has a right to tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body. Her body, her choice.
61. The effect helium has on the voice amuses me
62. I have a very short attention span. I think if I went to school in the US as a child, someone would have tried to prescribe ADD medication for me. Ritalin anyone?
63. I hate taking medicine.
64. I’ve never forgotten the name of the first guy I had a crush on. His name was Martin and I was 7.
65. I can be very unpredictable and sometimes it’s frustrating for my dear Mr. K.
66. I hate sleeping alone. Whenever he’s away, I sleep with a huge bear he gave me.
67. My favourite food is a juicy steak, medium well – a bit charred on the outside with just a hint of pink on the inside. Yum!
68. If I had to go vegetarian for any reason, I think I’d go mad.
69. My favourite snack is warm milk and an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie or warm milk with a slice of homemade cake.
70. Pineapple is my favourite fruit.
71. I hate reading instructions/instruction manuals, so I figure it out by myself or I ask hubby dearest to explain stuff to me.
72. I miss having guy friends. Since I became Mrs. K, I’ve found it much harder to make friends with guys. Or maybe it’s ‘cause I’m not at home? Je ne sais pas.
73. I love to talk, can you tell?
74. I sleep on my stomach.
75. If I had to choose between doing what I love and making a tonne of cash doing something I don’t enjoy, I’d pick the former.
76. I eat my cereal with warm milk. This apparently seems to strike some as odd because I’ve had people tell me that they think it’s weird. One cannot imagine having one’s cereal any other way.
77. I hate alarm clocks; I prefer to be woken slowly by the sound of a noisy bird or by the sun shining through the window.
78. As a child, I thought it would be cool to break my hand so people could sign my cast; it never happened.
79. When I’m nervous, I tend to speak faster.
80. My capacity for the recollection of minutiae astounds me—it probably annoys others though.
81. I’m very detail oriented; life is in the details. (Read, I'm a little anal or have borderline OCD)
82. Most of the time I’m between 5 and 15 minutes late.
83. I possess the ambiguous talent of being able to sleep anywhere—I once fell asleep standing during a super-long choir practice in high school the night before a Music Festival.
84. I can sometimes be lazy.
85. When I decide I want something, I seldom fail to get it.
86. I love the smell of roasting garlic.
87. I love to cook and enjoy making things from scratch.
88. I don’t like being photographed, I like to be behind the camera instead.
89. I don’t suffer from insanity; actually I enjoy it.
90. The first word I could spell as a child was "bog" (don't ask) complete with three little black sausage-shapes to illustrate.
91. I don't feel my age, I feel younger.
92. I'm married to my best friend, the most special guy I know.
93. Sometimes I feel like I'm just pretending to be grown-up, that one of these days someone is going to arrest me for masquerading as a responsible adult.
94. This year I’m making a concerted effort to try more new things. Yesterday, yoga. Today, Jamaican jerk chicken pizza.
95. I have a loud laugh. When I think something is funny, I laugh with everything I've got, just like with everything else, I don't do it by halves.
96. I think I'm good at reading people, I find that I'm often accurate.
97. Growing up I wanted to be a lawyer; I sometimes think I still could (or should).
98. Other things I've wanted to be - criminal psychologist, radio show host, counselling psychologist, and sex therapist.
99. I'm not shy, I've never been.
100. My favourite cereal is Weetabix (yes, with warm milk); I've loved it since I was a child.

6 Comments:

Blogger Prousette said...

Happy Birthday, belated though. May you live to be toothless.
Interesting list you have there
share the same sentiments on #1,3,22& 31.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 3:30:00 am  
Blogger Medusa said...

Happy Happy Birthday my dear...Isn't it liberating when you allow yourself to be vulnerable like that? I'm glad we're on this journey together..
I love you lots!!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 12:34:00 pm  
Blogger Uaridi said...

Happy belated b'day.

From Blog auntie

Thursday, August 03, 2006 3:42:00 pm  
Blogger G said...

happy belated birthday and big up 4 rising to the challenge

Sunday, August 20, 2006 3:05:00 am  
Blogger AfroFeminista said...

Happy belated birthday, hope it was a wonderful day...

Monday, August 21, 2006 5:04:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stumbled on this blog while doing research for mine. I have to say that I feel like a know you from reading this list. It is freaky. Its voyeuristic. When you get a chance, peep www.africanpath.com

Thursday, December 21, 2006 7:23:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home