Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The sum of my life

Is it just me or is a resume/C.V. innately depressing? You see I am now officially looking for a job and I have to update the aforementioned document. The thing is though, I can't say that I relish seeing my life summarised on just a few pages. It leads to questions about whether I've done enough, or whether I am enough. Should I have done more by now? Will a potential employer think I am worth a first interview, a second, a job offer? What if they don't?

Yes, I now confess why I enjoy being a student--I don't have to reduce my life to my educational achievements and experience, or my professional skills summed up on paper, in a format I don't care for, to be read by someone who probably doesn't give a hoot. And oh, don't forget the 100% 24lb cotton paper!

There's more to me than what you see, on the pages of my C.V. Do you think I could just put that on it and get the job? Just a thought.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is all to do with how you word it and also having a recruiter who understands that a person's achievements can never be fully realised on two bits of A4.

All the best with the hunt

Thursday, June 23, 2005 6:33:00 am  
Blogger wg-k said...

MJY,thank you. I just needed to vent! Dropped off the first (serious) application yesterday. Let's see how it goes.

Thursday, June 23, 2005 9:44:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How goeth the job hunt - and you really are twinning my life as I am in the middle of the same!

Monday, July 18, 2005 11:44:00 am  
Blogger wg-k said...

BT, this is rather spooky,don't you think. it's like we have parallel lives. Jobhunt is slow and not very exciting right now. Fingers crossed for us both though.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 3:31:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home